Alexandria experienced extreme flooding in October 2015. Such extreme events are likely to occur in Alexandria and in other cities. Due to the low level of preparedness of the city to extreme events the consequences are likely to be high. With the rainfall forecast data from European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecast (ECMWF) it is possible to predict events like October 2015 flooding days ahead of the event. These forecasts when coupled with a storm water model can provide information about when and where flooding may happen; and also about the effectiveness of anticipatory responses such as emptying the lakes in anticipation to flooding. Therefore, it is recommended to establish a flood forecasting and warning system for the Alexandria, which can also be an effective short term mitigation measure. Early warning system is a cost effective quick investment with a relatively large gain and can be utilised to buy time to critically analyse expensive long term mitigation measures. For more information contact Dr. Biswa Battacharya .
AFMA adopts a multi-pronged strategy to make Alexandria self-reliant in flood resilience. AFMA aims at reducing both the probability and impact of flood risk in a sustainable manner.
AFMA focused on:
- Creating an information system based on rainfall forecasting
- Assessing mitigation action based on rainfall and flood forecast
- Constructing and operating early warning hardware and infrastructure
- Building capacities at various levels such as in academia, government agencies and in the society.
Afma has following key roles
- Provide early warning to avoid damage to life and property in Alexandria
- Promote long term resilience through planning and implementation of Alexandria’s infrastructure and services
- Ever-ready in offering support and advice to the Governorate of Alexandria on flood risk management
- Serve as a beacon of resilience to other Arab cities.
Learning together from the past to reviewing the state of alert on Flood Risk and anticipatory actions in Alexandria A two day work shop on “Analysing flood risk in Alexandria” was conducted on 1st and 2nd Jan 2019 for the staff from Alexandria Governorate, Alexandria...